Driver CPC Training FAQs

Find out all the answers with our Driver CPC FAQs page!

Is driver CPC training in a legal requirement?

In accordance with the EU directive 2003/59/EC, all vocational drivers are legally required to undertake Driver CPC training.

Training is intended to raise driving standards and improve upon skill bases of vocational drivers.

How much training you need to do?

You must do 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years to keep your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) to drive a lorry, bus or coach.

You can be fined up to £1,000 for driving professionally without Driver CPC.

You can check how many hours of training you’ve done in the current 5-year period.

You only need to complete one set of training every 5 years if you drive both lorries and buses professionally.

You have to do the training in the country where you work or normally live.

When do I need to take training?

Your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification lasts for 5 years. To keep your Driver CPC you need to do 35 hours of training before your 5-year deadline.

The deadline to do your training is shown on your DQC card.

It’s up to you when you take the training courses, as long as you do them within the 5-year period.

What happens if you miss the training deadline?

It’s illegal to drive professionally if you haven’t done your training by your deadline.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you drive professionally without Driver CPC.

Do experienced drivers need to complete Driver CPC training?

There are certain exemptions for vocational drivers. However, all drivers will be required to complete top up Driver CPC training every 5 years.

For further information on the specific training required, please contact us.

Having ‘acquired rights’ means that you didn’t have to take the Driver CPCinitial qualification because of your existing driving experience.

You have acquired rights if you got your vocational licence before the dates shown in the table.

Type of vehicle Vehicle categories included When you got your vocational licence
Lorry C, C1, C+E and C1+E Before 10 September 2009
Bus or coach D, D1, D+E, D1+E Before 10 September 2008
Bus or coach (not for hire or reward) D(101) After 1991
Minibus (not for hire or reward) D1(101) Before 1997

Training deadlines for drivers with acquired rights

You still need to take periodic training, but there are set deadlines.

Training block Lorry driver Bus or coach driver Dual-category driver (lorry, bus and coach)
First block of training 9 September 2014 9 September 2013 9 September 2013
Second block training 9 September 2019 9 September 2018 9 September 2019*
Third block training 9 September 2024 9 September 2023 9 September 2024

*You have 6 years to do your second block of training if you have acquired rights for both lorries and buses and finished your first block of training by 9 September 2013.

How much does a Driver CPC course cost?

Training providers set their own prices for courses - there’s no maximum price. 

How can I book?

Please contact us to make a booking. 

What do I need to bring to my Driver CPC course?

You must take one of these to your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) training course:

  • a photocard driving licence
  • a valid passport
  • a digital tachograph card
  • a Driver CPC card

Driver CPC Certificate of Attendance

You’ll get a certificate of attendance at the end of the course. It belongs to you - your employer isn’t allowed to keep it. However, they may photocopy it for reference purposes. 

Where is my Driver CPC training record?

You can access your training records on your Driver CPC training record.

What happens if I have a complaint?

We only aim for excellence at JK Transport Training Services. However, if you have a complaint please do get in touch and we'll be more than happy to talk this through with you. 

How do I get my Driver CPC qualification card?

You’ll get your Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) card when you’ve done 35 hours of periodic training. The card is sometimes called a ‘driver qualification card’ or ‘DQC’.

You must carry this card while driving a lorry, bus or coach professionally.

You can get a £50 fixed penalty for driving professionally without your card.

You must replace your card if it’s lost or stolen.

Your Driver CPC card will be sent automatically to the address on your driving licence. You need to change this address first if it’s wrong.

You only need to apply for your card if you did some of your periodic training in another EU country.

The Driver CPC card doesn’t have your address on it, so you don’t have to get a new one if your address changes.

The photo and signature on your photocard driving licence will be used on your Driver CPC card.

If your card doesn’t arrive

You should get your Driver CPC card within 20 days of completing your periodic training. If you don't then contact us immediately and we will investigate for you. You have 2 months to tell us if not you will need to speak directly with the DVSA. 

Driver CPC card replacements
Telephone: 0191 201 8112
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

You’ll have to pay £25 if:

  • you take longer than 3 months to tell DVSA it hasn’t arrived
  • it’s sent to an old address because you haven’t updated your licence

What else do I need to know?

Only approved Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) courses count towards periodic training. You can choose which courses to attend.

Different courses cover different parts of the Driver CPC syllabus.

You’re allowed to take the same course more than once in each 5-year period, eg you could take a first aid course in the first and last year of the 5-year period.

Driver CPC training in Yorkshire, North of England and Scotland can be booked for individuals or groups of employees, so the courses are suitable for both large and small companies.


Partnered with TMconsultant