Operator Application

Here at JK Transport we can undertake your new operator application on your behalf, ensuring everything is in order before sending your application to the DVSA. We can also help with licence variations, and changes of operating centre.

Our job is to ensure your application is complete and correct prior to application. We will be there throughout the whole process, from completing the application from, collating all ancillary documents, proof reading, sending to the central licensing office in Leeds and correspondence.

Do I need an Operators Licence?

If you intend to operate vehicles over 3,500 kg gross vehicle in weight (gvw) which will be used to carry goods on public roads for trade or business purposes you will need one of three types of operator licence. This includes short-term rental vehicles hired for as little as one day. Types of licence are:

Standard national licence

This licence means you can carry your own goods in the UK and international and other people’s goods in the UK. You can also take loaded trailers to or from ports within the UK as part of an international journey, as long as your vehicles don’t leave the country.

Standard international licence

This licence means you can carry your own goods, and other people’s goods, both in the UK and on international journeys.

When you get a standard international licence, you can also request the issue of Community Licences. These allow:

  • Trips between all EU member countries
  • Transit traffic through EU member countries
  • Cabotage (journeys entirely within another EU member country)

Restricted licence

This licence allows you to carry your own goods, but not other people’s goods.

(The rules are different if you’re in Northern Ireland)

What will you do?

  • Give you advice on type of Licence required
  • Provide advice regarding transparency in cases of previous Operator Licences, failed businesses, bankruptcy etc
  • Completion of the necessary GV79 application form either via the on-line or paper/post version and interim applications
  • Completion and advice regarding the TM1 form if required (Standard and International Licenses)
  • Provision of the necessary contract for external transport managers
  • Preparation of maintenance agreement
  • Preparation of operating centre usage consent letter (if using a third party premises)
  • Provision of the correct newspaper article with correctly worded public notice
  • Proof reading/checking of all requisite documentation
  • Liaison with the Traffic Commissioners Office during the application process
  • After sales advice and support.

How much does it cost for you to help?

We charge a flat fee of £235.00 for Standard Licence applications and £187.00 for Restricted Licence applications.

Also, when applying for a goods vehicle operator’s licence, you’ll have to pay government fees which are:

  • A one-off fee payable on application – £257.00
  • A fee for the issue of a licence – £401.00
  • A fee for the issue of an interim licence (if applicable) – £68.00
  • Major change to a licence £257.00
  • A continuation fee every 5 years to keep your licence active – £401.00

What are the current rates for financial standing?

As of 1st January 2017 the rates for a Standard Licence application are:

First vehicle £6,650 £7,850
Additional vehicles £3,700 £4,350

For a Restricted application they are:

First vehicle £3,100
Additional vehicles £1,700

Why use us?

One of the biggest reasons for a delay in applications being granted is because of mistakes on the application, provision of incorrect ancillary documentation or issues with the TM1 form. By using our services you can be rest assured by taking advantage of our expertise, your application will go through smoothly as we will have tackled any issues prior to application.

How do I get more information?

If you would like more information or would like to talk through your application, please don’t hesitate to ask. Call07449 517541 or alternatively click here.